History of Meherrin Volunteer Fire Department
The Meherrin Fire Department, Inc. was organized by the local citizens of 1954. In the beginning, the department had a 1937 Ford Fire Truck which was housed in W. R. Berry, Jr.’s one bay garage. One year later, the members of the department purchased the Meherrin School Building from Lunenburg County for its firehouse at the price of $4,000.00.
In 1959, our ability to perform was enhanced when the company purchased its second piece of equipment: a 1946 Ford with a gasoline transport tank mounted on it. This became our tanker and remained as our tanker until 1963 when the department purchased a 1963 Ford with a 1,000 gallon tank mounted on it.
1976 ushered in our first construction project when the department built a two-bay cinderblock building adjacent to the school building to house the first new truck the department had owned. This vehicle was purchased by Prince Edward County .
In 1985 the department purchased a 1985 GMC pumper to add to the fleet. Eight years later the department purchased their first crew cab pumper a 1993 International, which is still used as the first out truck on most calls.
On September 1, 1997 , Meherrin Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. became Meherrin Volunteer Fire & Rescue, Inc. and during that month construction was begun on the new building. Three months later, our existing firehouse, the old school building, was almost destroyed by fire and though our equipment was saved, some did experience some heat damage.
The department was fortunate enough to be able to begin rebuilding the old building while simultaneously working on the new one and in June 1999, we moved into the new building and the old building at the same time.
One month later in August of 1999 our responsibilities of being just a fire department were expanded. In August we added our first, First Responder, a first aid element, with the mission of stabilizing the patient until the Rescue Squad arrived. This was possible with the purchasing of a 1982 Chevrolet Van Ambulance from Victoria Fire & Rescue.
In 2001 we saw our responsibilities of being a First Responder expand once again. In 2001 we began Basic Life Support to local emergency rooms. This was possible with a grant received from the Office of EMS and funds raised by the department, by purchasing a 2001 Ford Osage Ambulance. Within a year, we expanded our services once more. In 2002 we became a licensed Advance Life Support ground transport agency.
Also in 2002 we were fortunate to be donated a 1991 Ford Ambulance from Charlotte County Rescue Squad. This unit proved to be a vital part asset to our fleet over the years it was in service. In 2006 this unit was sold to Prospect Volunteer Fire Department and was replaced with a 2005 Ford Osage Ambulance by help of a grant from the Office of EMS and funds raised from the organization.
In 2004 our department was fortunate to receive a grant from FEMA for purchasing all new turnout gear, wild land firefighting gear, cascade system, new high pressure air packs, and Hurst Extrication Tools, also know has “Jaws of Life”.
In 2004 we lost our 1985 GMC Pumper in a traffic accident while responded to assist Victoria . This unit was replaced in 2006 by a 2006 International Tanker. Also in that year we lost our 1993 Chevrolet Caprice in a traffic accident. This unit was also replaced in 2006 by a 2006 GMC Pickup.
Over the years our department has grown and we would like to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for the community support of both money and time extended over the year. Our growth is directly attributed to your support and the services we provide depends upon your assistance.